The PTA is excited to introduce the Wellness Committee. We created the committee because we saw a need for students at Brookside to learn more about their health. Our goal is to educate students on nutrition, physical activity, and safety that will help them make good choices in school and at home. Parents will see changes to menus during school-sponsored events, education on good snack and meal choices with “Try it Tuesdays,” and an after school Running Club. Other ideas are being discussed and the PTA welcomes input and ideas from all parents and staff members.
Take a look at the tabs we have provided under “Wellness Committee.” Provided are helpful resources and links with information that center around good nutrition and health. As mentioned, there will be changes to the menus of school-sponsored activities, take a look:
- The Harvest Festival will incorporate a “Chili Challenge” instead of our traditional Krispy Kreme Donuts. Parents and staff can participate and a panel of judges will decide 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. We will serve corn bread and water to drink.
- Pizza and Wheels will be changed to “Pasta and Wheels.” We will serve whole wheat wagon wheel pasta, a vegetable or fruit, and water.
- Movie Night will still include popcorn, just a healthier version.
- Carnival will offer healthier choices to our already kid favorites. And…hold tight, we have come up with something spectacular (at least the kids will think so) to replace the “Win a 2-liter game.” The Cake Walk will remain the same, and we encourage families to donate homemade baked items. Cooking with your kids is a great family and educational activity.
**Information about these events will be listed on the website and come home on a flyer in your child’s backpack.
New programs we have in the works:
- Try it Tuesdays to offer students a healthy snack sample. We will provide a healthy food sample during recess as an example of what kinds of snacks are good choices for health. We will display allergy information and ask the younger students about food allergies. Parent volunteers desired.
- Running Club will be offered again this year. This is a great after school physical activity program designed for students who want to learn how to run. Students will have the support of experienced runners as they increase their endurance, time and distance. Parent volunteers desired.
- Nutritional posters for the lunchroom to give students a visual of good food choices using the USDA’s My Plate guidelines. Parent volunteers desired.
- Cooking and serving nutritional food for the school-sponsored events (listed above). Parent volunteers desired.
We need YOU! If you would like to volunteer to help with any of the Wellness Committee activities or have ideas to share, we’d love to hear from you! Please contact Cynthia Armstrong, Wellness Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.